Past Hokudai/Cast Entries

Monday, January 05, 2009

Hokudai/Cast 93: Keeping Your End Up

Click on the title to hear Hokudai/Cast 93
Click on 'Post' on the player at left.
Choose Hokudai/Cast 93 to hear these notes.

About half of a conversation in American English is you speaking. People want to hear what you think about what they said. If you only nod your head while remaining silent, people will get tired of speaking with you. You don't want this to happen, do you? If you don't understand what people say, you should say so - this will make other people want to help you understand. What should you say? Easy. Say:
  • "I don't understand what you just said."
  • "I think I understand the words, but I don't understand the meaning."
  • "What did you just say? I don't know the word ~."

This will make it easier for the person you're talking to to help you understand. Everyone wants people to understand them. If you understand but can't express your feelings, you can say:

  • "I know what I want to say, but I can't say it in English."
  • "I'm not sure how to say what I mean."
  • "I understand what you said, but I don't know how to respond in English."

Even if you disagree with the other person, they might help you express yourself in English.
___________
Hokudai/Cast: Your fun-service podcast for learning Japanese, English, and Chinese.

About Hokudai/Cast and 北陸大学

My Photo
EnglishBob
Mirai Sozo is the School of Future Learning at Hokuriku University. The primary focus is on language (English and Chinese) and management (hospital administration, sports, and business).
View my complete profile