Past Hokudai/Cast Entries

Thursday, May 02, 2013

Hokudai/Cast 259: Playwrights and Eyebrows


Today's Word/Play will present you with three words:

Playwright

Millwright

Wheelwright

Wright is an old word meaning "Work" and these three words are people who make what comes before "wright." A playwright makes plays, a millwright works in a factory, and a wheelwright makes wheels.

Today's Trilingual Lesson brings you two words and two sentences in three different languages. The words might be familiar to you. They are:

劇作家 ~ Playwright ~ 剧作家

  水車大工 ~ Millwright ~ 技工

The sentences are fairly simple:

彼は劇作家である。~ He is a playwright. ~ 他是一位剧作家。

彼は水車大工です。 ~ He is a millwright. ~ 他是一名技工

We have a quick grammar lesson following the Trilingual Lesson. It is about using the word 'to' in sentences. Use 'to' after 'going' if you are going to a place.

For example:

       I'm going to Paris.

       I'm going to work.

       I'm going to school

But don't use it if the verb following 'to' ends in '~ing'.

       I'm going shopping. ~ I'm going to shop.

       I'm going skiing. ~ I'm going to ski.

       I'm going swimming. ~ I'm going to swim.

Your Music Presentation today is:

      Wonderland by Magic Eyebrows (Mayuge ~ 眉毛) from GBUC.net

      靠不靠谱 by 刘力扬 from last.fm


Check out this episode!

About Hokudai/Cast and 北陸大学

My Photo
EnglishBob
Mirai Sozo is the School of Future Learning at Hokuriku University. The primary focus is on language (English and Chinese) and management (hospital administration, sports, and business).
View my complete profile