Past Hokudai/Cast Entries

Monday, April 25, 2011

Cui Jian - The Godfather of Chinese Rock

This is a video using Cui Jian's Rock and Roll on the New Long March
(新长征路上的摇滚). Cui Jian is considered the foremost pioneer of Chinese rock music.
You can read along as he sings.



Some of the lyrics from travellerJim on YouTube:

新长征路上的摇滚
  • oh..., 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

    ask heaven, ask earth, how many miles left (for the march)

    pray to wind, pray to rain, please leave me alone,

    mountain after mountain, river after river,(I) can't tell east from west,

    people after people, tongue after tongue, can't tell the truth,

    what to say, what to do, I can be myself?

    how to sing, how to song, my heart will be satisfied?

  • heard of it, never seen it, twenty five kilo miles

    only talked, not tried, how you know it's hard

    lower your head, keep marching, seek my soul

    come here, go there, there's no safe place (base)

    what I think, what I do, is rifle and millet

    only reasoning, no action, is cannon and bomber (red army who only had rifle and millet beat Nationalist army that had cannon and bomber)

    flowing sweat, shedding tears, my heart still rebels,

    hiding here, concealing there, tell myself take easy.


_________________________

Hokudai/Cast: Your fun-service podcast for learning Japanese, English, and Chinese.

About Hokudai/Cast and 北陸大学

My Photo
EnglishBob
Mirai Sozo is the School of Future Learning at Hokuriku University. The primary focus is on language (English and Chinese) and management (hospital administration, sports, and business).
View my complete profile